The Mission of the Florida Healthy Youth Alliance is to champion the health and well-being of Florida youth with a focus on supporting medically accurate, inclusive, trauma-informed, and culturally competent sexual health education in grades K-12. This statewide initiative, comprised of dedicated health professionals, recognizes the importance of individual school districts independently selecting and tailoring programs to meet the needs of their students. The Alliance aims to assist school-based staff by providing accurate information, resources and guidance based on research and best practices.
All Florida students will have access to quality, medically accurate, inclusive and culturally competent sexual health education to increase healthy relationships and decrease unplanned pregnancy, STIs/HIV, and sexual violence.
- Maintain an easily accessible website with medically accurate information regarding the need, research and best practices to implement effective sexual health education.
- Advocate to ensure Florida school districts retain ability to independently select sexual health education programs that meet their students’ needs.
- Ensure Florida schools have access to the resources, tools and research-supported (or evidence-informed) guidance needed to implement medically accurate sexual health education.
- 10 Characteristics of Effective Sex and HIV Education Programs
- Characteristics of Effective Sexuality Education
- A Group Randomized Trial Evaluating High School FLASH, a Comprehensive Sexual Health Curriculum
- School Climate for LGBTQ Students in Florida: 2019 State Snapshot
- Three Decades of Research: The Case for Comprehensive Sex Education
- Adolescent Health: What Works in Schools – Sexual Health Education